Electronic Ignition

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby Don » Sat May 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Hey Tom A289,
I just picked up NOVA II Ignition Module (PN 31-8786 $14.95)
It installed relatively easily. Since you're allready using this unit
what timing did you use? I recall seeing 9 degrees advance
some where. I used my automotive timing light hooked to a
12 volt battery to set the timing. Once I've ran it I'll try to get
some photos posted.
Don
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby JPXman » Sun May 14, 2006 10:11 am

I think tom has answered this question so many times i'll answer it for him :) when he installed the module, he found that the module advanced the timing by 9 degrees. in order to restore the timing to the old setting, he had to make himself a subplate to get the extra range needed to retard the timing by 9 degrees.

Tyler
PS: see my post about timing, i have some questions
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon May 29, 2006 2:10 am

Hey Don,

Any luck with this progress? I am very curious.

Tyler
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Don » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:50 am

Hi Everyone,
I just finished my 185 engine rebuilds. I swapped the points for a Nova Electronic module. Here's the before.
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Don » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:53 am

Oops! Old points.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Don » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:48 am

Here's all the parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Don » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:57 am

Here's everthing assembled. I replaced the condenser with a nylon plug and used it for a terminal block. Timing was a real pain to set, all trial and error. I ended up with stator plate at mid adjustment.
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Don » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:01 am

On the test stand. I ended up with 5600-5700 RPM's with Bi-Props. I have the no radius cranks.
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby lazairiii » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:22 pm

Interesting to know that these inexpensive parts do work. Now the test is for how long? I have ready several guys that tried parts like these and they works for a short time then burt out. So before you mount up and go up into the wild blue yonder, do a little more...no, a lot more testing just to be sure they are going to hold up long term. I;d be as excited as anyone at a $15 fix, but I'd sure want to know they will hold up. If they do, then you hit the nail on the head.

Also, can you elaborate on the ease of starting opposed to points, and smoothness of idle, smoothness of acceleration/deceleration of the engine etc? Any info is appreciated.

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby Don » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:47 pm

Hi George,
I spoke with Dale Kramer about the modules. He said his father used them for years. He did say the module was mounted on the outside of the motor not under the flywheel as I did.
As for performance, idle is smooth until 1500 RPMs then it's rough. There is good throttle up responce and doesn't stall if the throttle is chopped. They seem to start quickly, apply the choke, 1/4 throttle 1-3 pulls and thats at about 25 degrees F.
Never having seen or heard a 185 run before I went to the Big Bay fly-in, I would say they sound as good as the CIDs that were there. The test is time though! At present there is only about 25-30 minutes on each engine. I still have to anchor my throttle, fuel and ignition lines then wait for some good weather and get in some taxi time. I may get the test stand back out and run a couple gallons of fuel through them anyway.
I'll up-date as I collect more info.
Don
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Next

Return to Re-Building tips and info