Photo Posting Practice

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby russell » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:43 pm

Please bear with me a minute. I have some photos I want to post but I'm not sure how they will work oiut so this is a test run.

Thanks,
Russell
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
russell
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:10 pm

Russell,

Ok not fair!!! I have snow falling outside my window right now, and all I see in this pic is sunshine.

The post worked great.

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:29 pm

That was taken yesterday and I was sweating out there in the sun. Somewhere near 90 already. Don't be envious just yet, we'll get ours when the summer really gets cranked up. 100's will not be an exception! The air will get so thin, my Pioneers will have their tongues hanging out just trying to maintain level flight!

The picture posted okay, but now I gotta work on the quality. Cheap camera and dump photographer (me), this may be as good as it gets.
russell
LazairNUT

Postby Don » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:36 pm

Looks Great Russell!! Good choice to keep her. B) Did you use Tedlar on your tips?
Todays high was about 65. Keuka Lake is low to mid 50's
and we have hard frost almost every night.
Don
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby russell » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:13 pm

Hi Don, thanks. The photo is crappy so I'm trying to learn how to use this new fangled contraption called a digital camera, whatever that is. Once I do the best I can with it I plan on posting a few more shots.

Don, it's the middle of April for christ sake, does it ever warm up up there?!

Hope your making progress on yours.

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:18 pm

Oh, I forgot. No that's Dacron I got from Spruce Aviation Supply. Hard to work with. I had forgotten just how aggravating the tips were to cover using contact cement. Could only do a little at a time. Took forever. Frays on the edges real bad, but shrinks great (better than Tedlar).

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby Don » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:35 pm

Hey Russell 75 today, Wooo Hoooo! This year has been a good one we only had about 4 weeks of real winter 2 of those were in December. I've been working on the engines in the basement next to the wood furnace. Thanks to Karl starting that great rebuild thread it seems like I've allready done it a couple times. I don't think Dale even knows about steaming off the glue. I had forgoten about Ozzie mentioning it. How can I see the vidieo?
Don
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby russell » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:42 pm

75? Now that's more like it! As I understand, it gets pretty hot up there in the summer. I tried to find the video myself back awhile but didn't know how.

How 'bout it Ozzie??

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:09 pm

that vid has gone
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Postby ozzie » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:15 pm

the short vid was uploaded to this site but i can't seem to find it. ???
i do not have a copy to repost.
it is easy to remove the tape with steam
simply play the steam on the end of the tape to soften the glue then pull it back over itself, continue to play the steam on the outside of the tape while pulling it off.
with a little practice you can get most of the glue to come off with the tape. different tapes different results. the same with the double sided tape. the foam tape tends to break up so a plastic spatular will help here. heat and scrap. work around the filliment tape. you want to keep this in good condition. dry off the surface apply your citrasolve to the scotchbrite and give it a scrub this is the messy part. clean up with a rag.
tips if the steam unit has a control for the amount of steam start off low and slowly increase till you can pull the tape off. better with less than more steam. play it at an angle so you can see what you are doing. do not loiter in one spot and overheat the ali it will distort. if it is stuborn move on then return. you can control the amount of heat by how close the nozzel is to the surface. warning the temp is over 100deg C within 2/3cm of the tip. but will be cold at 10cm from the end. get a cheap roll of tape stick it to several different surfaces and practise a bit. you can also get an idea of useing steam by looking at the video on our website www.steamaustralia.com.au you can get the same results with a tiny cheap unit of 2/4 bar they run slightly lower temp. they are also fantastic to remove dirt grease ect from around rivits and tight areas on the airframe and engines. i also found that it helped in treating corrosion by first removing the loose particles and dirt before applying chemical. the chem works better if the surface is clean. hope this helps ozzie
BLUE SKIES AND FULL TANKS
ozzie
LazairNUT

Next

Return to Pilots Lounge