Lazair videos

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby Shannon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:12 am

Same wing as previous pic but different view. Notice how nice and tight the top covering has remained. Plane was originally covered 84~85.

Another method of UV protection that has worked well for us is painting the Tedlar with silver metallic spray paint. Over the aileron ribs for example we have had pretty good luck masking over the exposed foam tape under the Tedlar then spraying on a "strip" of silver paint. For whatever reason spray paints with metallic pigments seem to adhere well to Tedlar. To help adhesion you can lightly scuff the Tedlar with a green scotch brite pad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:20 am

Old wing again, notice how the covering has pulled loose on the bottom where there are no capstrips. Also note the foam tape which has nearly lost all adhesion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:37 am

Close in shot of wing rib with capstrip and underlying strip of Tedlar tape.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:48 am

Aileron rib with silver painted "strip" over foam tape. (25 year old covering)
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:49 am

Silver painted flat capstrip on wing rib.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:14 am

Tedlar seperation from foam tape on bottom of wing rib. Very interesting to note that even before UV has attacked this foam tape (notice the foam tape is still white) the Tedlar has pulled away from the rib.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby russell » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:13 pm

In '84 I was flying merrily along and as I looked out over the beautiful senery to my left I noticed there was a gap between the Mylar (at that time) and the ribs on the bottom side of the wing. Needless to say I headed for the house right away. There was only one thing I could do and that was to recover the entire plane (Tedlar this time). It didn't occur to me at that time to install cap strips and I was all alone in my area. No one had Lazairs but me. Only one other ultralight even, and at the time I didn't know it existed. I could have used you guys back then. Sure was lonesome. No one to talk to about ultralights. Couldn't talk to pilots of conventional aircraft. They all turned thier nose's up at my chainsaw powered meat wrapper.
Thanks for the info.
russell
LazairNUT

Postby yankeflyer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:57 pm

Very timely post, as I get ever nearer to flying my series one I find myself following this thread very closely.

I found a big old dead grasshopper inside one of the panels at the trailing edge -- can't see how it got in.

And of course all of the tape that I see in there is separating to some degree or another.

So cap strips it is. That is sure to add another month or more.

Peace of mind?

I know it will take long enough as it is to get my confidence back up in the machine and not be listening for every little sound.

Russell I hope you can come up to Oshkosh, the sound like a world-class crowd is getting ready to show up there this year.
yankeflyer
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:01 am

Yeah, I've been wanting to go for many years, but it's a long way from here. I have, however; been to LakeCity, Florida (right down the road, comparably). It's amasing how many creatures find the inside of the wings appealing. Wasp are quite prevalent in this area and they will make nest out of the styrofoam, along with field mice. One of the mice chewed a good bit of a rib one time. I had to stuff the holes in the root rib with cloth after each flight to keep the little critter out. They also attact houe cats. A very large one loved to hunt the mice in the hangar I was using. I keep noticing paw prints in the dust on the wings, but thought nothing about it . I should have because one time he was on the wing and he apparently started to loose his footing and of course you know what a cat does to regain his traction, those fish hooks come out. The wings were covered in Mylar at the time, so he made two slits in it straight down one cell and into the aileron. The whole time I was recovering my wings, I was devising ways to eliminate him. Oh, I found a way. You know the tale about cat's and nine lives, well either it's not true or he had a full dance card!
russell
LazairNUT

Previous

Return to Pilots Lounge