Lazair videos

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:52 pm

George,

I'm sure it's just fine. I know that Shannon has done the same thing with good results too. I was just throwing you a friendly jab.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:14 am

Dave,

NO offense taken. I know it's been addressed before, but really, the slight bevel isn't enough to do any damage anyway, but is super streamline and rigid.

George
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:13 pm

George, what is the type and thickness of the aluminum you used?

Russell
russell
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:53 pm

Russell,

2024 T-3 .025
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:06 am

They do give the wings a finished look. Thanks
russell
LazairNUT

Postby russell » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:10 am

Oh George, one more thing. Are there any concerns about placing a rivet through the filament tape which is around the rib?
russell
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:48 am

All I can say about that is, use a new drill bit and it will not shread the tape, or you can just watch and avoid the tape altogether.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:43 pm

Don't worry about the underlying rib tapes Russell. I used (and George) Celus brand Alum/Alum (Alum mandrel / Alum stem) A/A44D rivets on a 3" spacing (http://www.celus.com/). Split the difference where needed on rivet placement, drill your holes and just roll with it. Use Cleco's to hold your new strips in place as you go. If you are concerned about using the infamous "bevel down" factory strips just have somebody with a shear, try Carlson Aircraft, (http://www.sky-tek.com/) cut you some 7/8" flat strips out of .020 (factory capstrip thickness) or .025". To me bevel-up strips make the wings ugly (my opinion), hard to keep clean, and hard to wipe off dew from.

Long long long before Ultraflight came up with "their" rendition of capstrips (beveled) they (flat strips) were being utilized here to keep the covering down. I know it may seem totally and absolutely absurd but we always placed capstrips on ALL ribs both top and bottom on ALL ribs. In the long run what you are doing is stabilizing-reinforcing the expensive covering you so lovingly applied. The capstrips help to take the load (pull from shrinking, vibration, and wind) off the leading and trailing edge double sided and perimeter capping tapes. Of course things are bright and cheerful when all your tapes (foam, double sided, seam-perimeter) and covering are new. Some dorks even actually think capstrips are a total waste of time... Haa Haa. In their defense I'll say that looking at spanking new covering and tapes there is hardly any way you could imagine everything (tapes or acrylic glue rather) rotting and being infected with UV damage. Over time the foam tape will turn to a dark yellow-orange and loose adhesion. Over time the double sided tedlar attachment tape will yellow and degrade. This is point where the Tedlar comes unstuck from the ribs and wrinkles appear in formerly "tight" covering. All the "load" then is placed on your yellowing double sided and perimeter tape. Low and behold your flying along and all the tapes let go... Oh SH*T, my covering is ballooning and coming loose I should have listened to that guys (what was his name ?) good advice !

Before you place capstrips (bevel down, up or flat) it's a good idea to place a narrow run of Tedlar tape (1-1/4-1-1/2" wide) underneath. All Lazairs here (Series II, Several Several III's, Elite, and II) had "bevel down" factory strips installed and had no problems. After an underlying run of narrow (1-1/4-1-1/2") Tedlar tape is placed put a run of 3M silver tape (http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-10241SIL) over the narrow tedlar tape "strips" on each rib and your foam tape will not degrade much over time from UV damage.

Remember guys TIME and UV are your enemies. You put on a nice covering job and you are expecting it to last a long time. Take a few simple steps and your covering job will last long term.

Pic below is the consequences of not having taken any steps to protect the foam rib tapes from UV. Note the deep Orange/Yellow color of the UV infected double sided foam tape.

Also note the bird nest directly adjacent to the R-4 rib.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby Shannon » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:41 pm

To protect the foam tape on your box sections or other areas you could use 5-8 year life outdoor vinyl graphics roll striping. This is the same stuff that is used to make decals and graphics for a myriad of vehicles (Boats, Cars, Trucks RV's, ext..)http://www.decalzone.com/index.php

Note: When you put on outdoor vinyl tape it is normal to have large amounts of bubbles. After a period the bubbles settle out and the vinyl lays nice flat and smooth.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby lazairiii » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:27 am

Guys, Shannon is absolutely right. Shannon is the reason I have them on my plane. I'm very glad I listened to his suggestion to put them on. I have to say that not only do they do what they are designed to do, there is one additional benefit, and that is peace of mind. What's that worth to you?
lazairiii
LazairNUT

PreviousNext

Return to Pilots Lounge