A774 Rebuild

Tell all about your Lazair
Post pics --
After a while we wil streamline the forums and see what is most popular.
Want you own forum ? Let us know.

Postby Don » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:38 pm

Hi Guys,
Back in February of 06 I bought a basket case Series III. After hundreds of hours of drilling, cutting, bending, riveting, rubbing, polishing and just plain scratching my head in frustration. I'm nearly finished with the rebuild on A774. A word of encouragement to Joe who just bought the Elite, take your time go through your plane completely it will be a very rewarding experience.
Don
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Don » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:44 pm

Hi again Guys,
My first atempt at posting a picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Don » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:51 pm

Both wings in the trailer. Each had storage damage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby uscgairdale » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:07 pm

It's exciting to be nearing the end of a Lazair restoration isn't it? I know that I've enjoy restoring mine and posting pics along with getting good advise on here. If you post your rebuild on here, who knows, it may help out some other Lazairheads too.

How were your d-cells? I know that mine seemed "ok". That is until I looked inside! (I must sound like a member of the "d-cell police" by now)

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Don » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:20 am

Everybody was right about the D-cells needing to be opened.
Here's what I found.
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Don » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:10 pm

Another shot of what I found. It looked like the wings had been stored outside and collected water for a long time.
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Don » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:46 pm

Debris I found in both D-cells
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Don » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:49 pm

Here's the photo
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby Don » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:51 pm

New ribs
Don
Popular Lazair Member

Postby uscgairdale » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:16 pm

I'm glad that you took a look inside your d-cells. The condition of the nose ribs don't appear to be to bad, but they obviously need to be re-glued back into place. Mine "felt" like they were in the right place, but the glue had become very brittle and totatly useless. Now that they're back together the d-cell "feels" much more solid, maybe it's just a boost to my confidence. In any case, I'm very glad to have spent the time to make sure that everything is good to go.

Check out this outboard nose rib! You can see the brittle glue and where all sorts of critters had eaten their way inside the wing. I found three old bees nests inside this d-cell.

Keep us posted on your progress,

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Next

Return to Pilots Lounge