185 Cylinder Sleeves...

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby lazairiii » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:22 am

I wanted to see if anyone has replaced the cylinder sleeves in their 185's. It appears that they may be pressed into the aluminum body of the cylinder.

Anyone...

Glen Dewsbury may have posted about this a while back...Glen?
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Postby gdewsbury » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:11 am

Replaced a sleeve last year. Did not press it in. Heated the cylinder and chilled the sleeve. Set up an alignment jig since there is not much time once you start. A couple of seconds is all you get.
Made a hand press to get the old one out. heated the whole thing and squirted motor oil around the edges and on the threads of the press.
Do not hit the parts with a hammer or anything else.
Oven temperature not high enough. Used the B-B-Q to get up towards 700 deg F.
You will need to have the bore turned and the top faced off. I went to a local engine machinist for that operation and took the new piston/rings to get cylinder sized to suit. I did not drill a hole for the compression release since I have not been using them.
I heard that the compression relief has been moved to the head on newer engines. Can anybody confirm that?
gdewsbury
LazairNUT

Postby lazairiii » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Thanks for the update Glen. Makes sense.

As for the decompression valve, I've gone away from the old decompression releases for an all metal one that will not fall apart or melt. I'm doing all of my rebuilt 185's this way now. Works perfectly.
lazairiii
LazairNUT

Return to Re-Building tips and info