P-tip Props

Share your thoughts, photos and general help to all builders

Postby uscgairdale » Thu May 06, 2010 8:16 pm

Just doing a little research here.....

I'm sold on the idea of upgrading to these, but I do not recall if anyone is advocating spending the money to go with the leading edge protection. I would think that it's not required with the Lazair's high wing tractor design.

Been daydreaming alot about owning a Lazair again. Most likely I'll be taking on another restoration in the comming months.

Dave
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Thu May 13, 2010 4:56 pm

I think you are OK without it unless you are going to be doing a lot of float flying maybe ? If you don't like cleaning bugs off the props then maybe it would be a good idea too.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby uscgairdale » Sat May 15, 2010 7:19 am

That's kind of what I figured, but here you never know.

It's official now, I now own my brother's Series III thats a solid airframe with good 185s, but it has some issues so it will be a while before it's flying. It will be a bit until I can go pick it up so I'm starting to compile all the materials that I'll need to recover and upgrade it.

Dave
A951
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Sat May 15, 2010 8:48 am

It wouldn't hurt to have the leading edge protection I suppose but I wouldn't consider it absolutely necessary. Obviously if you don't clean the bug goo off daily that's going to etch and destroy the finish quickly. What would LE protection run on the props. Have you priced it ?

That's good news on your brothers plane. Lucky to get a plane that only needs minor repair and one that you know the history of too.

I was looking for your recent Hawk videos on You Tube and couldn't locate them. Were they removed for some reason ?
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby uscgairdale » Sun May 16, 2010 7:00 pm

The leading edge protection is another $72 per prop, regardless of wood or carbon fiber. I do fancy the idea of flying off of the water someday, but do not care for the added expense.

Like you said it's always nice to know the complete history of a plane. As the kit number suggests, it was one of the last kits to be sold by Ultraflight. I knew the orignal owner and the previous one before my brother bought it. Repairs should be minor but I can't say for sure until I get started. I know for sure that I will be checking on those d-cell foam formers and particularly the glue that holds them in.

As for the Hawk videos, I took them off due to a falling out with the new owner. I could type a lot of things here, but I won't. The CGS Hawk is a very nice flying ultralight or light-sport machine, it's too bad that Chuck S had his stroke and is not able to keep the company going himself. I've decided to remove them because I cannot in good faith promote something that the ownership cannot support themselves. I've decided to focus on my Varieze and to restore, fly, and promote the Lazair. It's truely the most fun flying machine that I have ever flown, so that's what I will do.

Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
uscgairdale
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon May 17, 2010 8:25 am

Hi Dave,

Yeah that's a bit pricey to me. I'd rather fly the paint off the props and then just invest in another set later-on. My idea would possibly be to put that extra money towards the carbon P-tips vs. buying wood initially.

Too bad on the disagreement. Pilots/builders/enthusiasts for the most part are highly intelligent (unlike me), a bit high strung, and often highly opinionated. Given these factors along with many others it's easy to see why ideas-opinions often clash. Hey that's just how it is with people who like to get high !

Hey I agree there. Doing your own thing and restoring-flying the Lazair is a great notion. It really doesn't get a whole lot better than always having a Lazair to play around in.
Shannon
SHANNON

Return to Re-Building tips and info