Covering in fabric LAzair

General Messages Post you pics as well

Postby xgary » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:25 am

I posted this on yahoo today

>> pics to follow <<

I have covered many wings, lazairs etc. with fabric and never had a problem by not wrapping around the leading edge.
I just fixed one a few months ago that got bent up and I pull the fabric off the dcell along the rivet line ( about one or 2 inches of glued surface at the most ) fixed the spar box and put in new root ribs.
Glued on the old fabric - shrunk and it was on it's way.
I think alot depends on surface preparation. With Fabric --clean the old glue off with acetone and I use a scotch brite pad to scract the aluminum a bit to give the glue something to bite - then wipe again with acetone - put on super seam glue and attach fabric.

I don't stitch it either to ribs. Glue hold much better tham foam tapes and captrip is only about 1/2 wide or so plus the fillet you get of glue.

Anyhow that is wht I have had success with -- maybe just good luck ?

I got another lazair to do soon too- have to make new foam ribs and build new wings. D cells are done.
I thinking of using a 503 on each wing. Lazair would climb I bet 2500 to 3000 fpm -- just kidding...... about the 503 s
But what does a JPX weigh ? 503 are about 110 lbs with gear box
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:28 am

Another fabric pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby xgary » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:29 am

1.7 oz Stits - un-certified on a LAzair wing--
Shorty .............
xgary
LazairNUT

Postby JPXman » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:00 pm

JPX on a nacelle weighs 45lbs.
JPXman
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:30 pm

I have a bit of experience installing the 1.7oz. I have to say if I had to choose between some Tufflite, Aerolam, Durafilm, type coverings I'd probably go with 1.7oz fabric (with the exception of the wingtips where I'd use 2.7oz). I found that using the nomal sealing-UV coating process and auto paint the weight gain was very minimal.

I definitely understand the logic and good reasons for installing the fabric like you would Tedlar/Mylar. Being that the fabric will last long term I'd still go ahead and install capstrips for good measure. Of course that's just my personal take on it and I'm not trying to be critical of anyone who goes a different route.
Shannon
SHANNON

Return to Lazair - General