El Mirage Dry Lake, California, Sept 24,25/05

Post any Ultralight , Aviation related events here

Postby rayjb60 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:08 am

There will be an UL Fly-in on Sept 24,25, 2005 at El Mirage dry lake, California featuring many Lazairs that like to do a formation flight.

This ought to be loads of fun and I plan on attending and flying.

All those 6 Lazairs parked at Moe's Ranch do not seem to be active at all, or perhaps they come out in the fall and winter when there is more calm weather.

Ray
<H5>Nothing is impossible...Even the word tells you Im-Possible!!!</ H5>
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:01 pm

Ray take some pics of all those abandoned Lazairs. Years back the EL-Mirage guys were pretty active with atleast 6 Lazairs flying. They even made it to the front page of a UL mag (can't remember which) at one point.
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby rayjb60 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:12 am

Those Lazairs are all locked away in their trailers , and I have not seen anyone elses besides Mine and Chris at El Mirage.

If anyone else ever shows up and brings one out, you can bet I'll be meeting them and taking photos of their craft.

I think the fly-in guys drive out onto the Dry Lake and fly from there.

I'll have to get out early and do some recon flights around the whole El Mirage area.

I'll take lots of Pics and movie clips at the fly-in......digital cameras are great, holds 400 Hi-res pics and movies on a chip.....amazing.
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby Shannon » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:18 pm

If you guys fly consistently you will eventually draw a few of those dormant planes out of their trailers. Probably some real knowledgeable Lazair people over there just itching to do some flying again. Motivation !
Shannon
SHANNON

Postby rayjb60 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:05 pm

This coming weekend Sept 24 is the El Mirage Flyin, so hopefully I'll get some pictures of a bunch of Lazairs flying formation....from the formation itself.....movie to....these digital cameras are great!

Everyone is welcome, and flying is from the lake bed, so bring your campers, RV etc.

I have some last minute fixes to do, tailwheels and remounting CDI Modules.

Ray
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:23 pm

We had the fly-in this past weekend at El Mirage.

On Saturday morning I flew for a while cruising over El Mirage at 600' AGL and looking fo the mysterious other Lazairs.......there were none....just me all alone except for a trike and some other misc ultralights and gyros.

I did however meet a guy Mr Vander something, cant remember that showed me his Lazair in the Hanger Series 1 and another wreck of one that he is using for parts. He got it from a guy they call Doc?

He offered to sell me the wreck, or a pair of Rotax 185's on nacelles for $500 because he needed money for bingo....he was keeping the Pioneers for his series 1 though.

There are at least 5 other Lazairs in trailers out at the field and I have no idea who owns them, but if someone is looking to buy one, I would be able to find out.

I'll bet they have not been flown in years.

I have some pictures and video of my flight over El Mirage and will post them tommorow.

Ray
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Postby rayjb60 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:26 pm

I posted some pics from the air, in the Pilots Lounge under the Pilots log thread.

I also have a little movie of my CDI engines demonstrating throttle response by hammering the throttles from Idle to Full power back and forth a bunch of times, so you guys can see how they respond with no lag and no sputtering.

I'll put that under the Rebuild section in the CDI Conversion thread when I get a chance.

Ray
rayjb60
LazairNUT

Return to Events -- Up and coming events